This exercise depends on having access to the Internet.
Complete the following as an individual or a group. The exercise should take 30 minutes.
Go to Amazon.com. Observe the URLs as you click through the site. Critique the URL design.
Pick two other popular web sites. Critique their URL design. Here are some suggestions:
- Salt Lake Tribune
Consider these questions. Feel free to augment these with your own.
- Does site functionality use a GET or POST?
- Are the URLs readable? Is that good or bad?
- What would happen if Amazon regularly changed their URLs? Would their sales increase or decrease?
- Does LearningSuite let you link to a quiz?
- How does Amazon's use of a GET for almost everything give them a "free ride" to some extent?
- How might Google make use of good URI design by other Web sites?
Prepare a one-page report of your findings. Don't simply answer the above questions, rather write your conclusions about URI design following your investigation. Reference examples. Discuss your conclusions in your group or with someone you respect who will understand the issues.